Use the link to answer the following questions:
1. Which of the following sentences BEST describes the MAIN IDEA of the text:
◦ The COVID-19 pandemic has caused considerable challenges for parents and families due to childcare services closures.
◦ Looking beyond the pandemic to future reconstruction of the economy, four noteworthy lessons have emerged from COVID-19’s acute phase.
◦ COVID-19 has disrupted Canadians’ family lives, employment, finances and public and social programs on a scale most of us have never before experienced.
◦ Childcare is essential.
2. Which if the following BEST describes the audience for this text?
◦ Parents with children in childcare
◦ Public administrators, politicians, corporate executives, NGO leaders
◦ Concerned citizens, regardless of their personal connection to childcare needs
◦ All of the above
3. Which of the following BEST describes the PURPOSE of this text?
◦ To entertain and inform
◦ To inform and persuade
◦ To persuade and entertain
◦ To entertain, persuade and inform
4. Which of the following sets of TONE WORDS best describes the authors’ POINT OF VIEW in the text?
◦ Earnest, informative, restrained
◦ Condescending, hypercritical, patronizing
◦ Compliant, docile, obsequious
◦ Colloquial, flippant, outraged
5. Which of the following types of EVIDENCE is not included as SUPPORT in the text?
◦ News articles
◦ Survey data
◦ Statements from advocacy groups
◦ Interviews with parents
6. Take a closer look at the subsection titled ‘Lesson one: Childcare is essential’. Identify the main RHETORICAL STRATEGY the authors are using in this section and explain how you know in one or two complete sentences,
7. Using the terminological toolkit we have been developing so far, how would you describe the TONE of the final paragraph? Answer in one or two complete sentences
8. In your OWN words, provide a two to three sentence summary of the subsection titled ‘Lesson Three: A market-model works poorly for delivering “care” services necessary for well-being’.
9. The first sentence of the subsection ‘Lesson One: Childcare is essential’ reads:
“This has been thoroughly demonstrated and widely embraced”. What RHETORICAL
STRATEGY is being used here?
◦ None of the above
10. Write a short paragraph describing your impressions of the article. What did you think of it? What did you learn? Do you trust the authors? Why or why not?